St Anne's church is a fairly recent one, being built in 1892 to serve the Derbyshire village, before then local houses and even the public house (The Hurt Arms) were used as a place of worship.
The church was built from local stone from Ridgeway as a three storey building, the top storey being the church itself. The middle storey was once a school and is now the village hall. The building of the church was funded by J. Thewlis Johnson, owner of the local wire works. The land was donated by Mr Hall of nearby Alderwasley Hall.