The Church of St Edward the Confessor of the Diocese of Chelmsford in Essex (though the church and Romford is now part of London) dates from 1849 when it was built to replace an earlier church which dated from 1410. The new church, in the Victorian Gothic style, was consecrated in 1850.
The church was built from Kentish ragstone and Bath stone. The church has a five bay nave with a clerestory and North and South aisles. The church also has a Lady chapel and a chancel. Two vestries were added later in the 19th century.