Thursday 18 May 2017

York (1) : NRM

So i spent a couple of days up in York earlier in the week. My main reason for the visit was to visit the National Railway Museum at its two sites: York and Shildon. NRM York was first, i have been to it before twice. Once when i was a school child and a couple of years ago when i was a bit bigger. Since my last visit my long-dormant interest in railways has exploded and so i was on a mission to gather as much material as possible for my websites...

I like the NRM a lot and they have received an interesting new exhibit recently in the shape of a Eurostar power car (i also saw some at Kingsbury on my train up to York - being scrapped!) The streamlined LMS locomotive was not there last time i visited and that was a fine site, my Dad would have loved to have seen that. My favourite loco there though is a little strange perhaps, being the little battery electric locomotive NSR 1, it was rather overlooked by most visitors in the Great Hall which is a shame but is a lovely example of Midland Railway engineering in its own way. You can see my photos at NRM York here.
Eurostar power car

Class 76 electric locomotive
Art Deco streamlined LMS locomotive

Battery electric shunter

LNWR EMU