Sunday 26 March 2017

Guildford

I've just returned from a 3 day trip to Surrey and Hampshire and what a nice (and exhausting!) time i've had. I was based in Guildford, which i believe derives its name from the ancient and venerable Guild of Ford Dealers (this might not actually be true). Anyway its a lovely town which reminded me in some ways of Banbury and Aylesbury which of course are high on the list of my favourite places. As with both there were interesting railways and waterways in Guildford to explore...

The railways first: in Guildford we are in well into the old Southern live rail territory and so the trains are quite different to what we get up here in the Midlands. Lots of Class 455s for example, which are one of my favourite trains. You can see my railway photos here.

The river Wey is navigable through Guildford, plenty of rather expensive looking houses back onto the river. You can see my photos of the river here. I really must come again some time.